Which measure of dispersion is the best and how?
Standard Deviation is the best measure of dispersion as it
satisfies the most essentials of the good measure of dispersion.
The following points make Standard Deviation the best measure of
1. Most of the statistical theory is based on Standard Deviation.
It helps to make comparison between variability of two or more
sets of data. Also, Standard Deviation helps in testing the
significance of random samples and in regression and correlation
2. It is based on the values of all the observations. In other
words, Standard Deviation makes use of every item in a particular
3. Standard Deviation has a precise value and is a well-defined
and definite measure of dispersion. That is, it is rigidly
4. It is independent of the origin.
5. It is widely used measure of dispersion as all data
distribution is nearer to the normal distribution.
6. It enables algebraic treatment. It has correct mathematical
processes in comparison to range, quartile deviation and mean
Answer needs Correction? Click Here