Discuss in pairs and answer each question below in a short
paragraph (30 - 40
1. How many characters are there in the narrative? Name them.
2. Why did the narrator (Jerome) volunteer to do the packing?
3. How did George and Harris react to this? Did Jerome like their
4. What was
intention when he offered to pack?
5. What did Harris say after the bag was shut and strapped? Why
do you think he waited till then to ask?
6. What "horrible
idea" occurred to Jerome a
7. Where did Jerome finally find the toothbrush?
8. Why did Jerome have to reopen the packed bag?
9. What did George and Harris offer to pack and why?
10. While packing the hamper, George and Harris do a number of
foolish and funny things. Tick the statements that are true.
(i) They started with breaking a cup.
(ii) They also broke a plate.
(iii) They squashed a tomato.
(iv) They trod on the butter.
(v) They stepped on a banana.
(vi) They put things behind them, and
(vii) They stepped on things.
(viii) They packed the pictures at the bottom and put heavy
things on top.
(ix) They upset almost everything.
(x) They were very good at packing.
1. There are four characters in the narrative.
They are Jerome (the narrator), George, Harris and Montmorency
2. The narrator volunteered to do the packing as
he took pride in himself for his packing skills. It was one of
those things that he felt he knew
"more about than
any other person living".
3. George and Harris readily accepted
suggestion. George smoked a pipe and
over the easy-chair",
while Harris put his legs on the table and lit a cigar.
No, Jerome did not like their reaction.
4. When Jerome had offered to pack, his real
intention was to boss the job. He wanted to make Harris and
George work under his directions, and to push them aside every
now and then to teach them how to pack properly.
5. After the bag was shut and strapped, Harris
mentioned that Jerome had not packed the boots.
He had waited till then to ask because he wanted to make Jerome
realise his mistake and ridicule his so-called expertise at
6. When Jerome unstrapped the bag to pack the
boots in, a
idea" occurred to him. He
wondered whether he had packed his toothbrush or not. He was a
bit finicky about having his toothbrush packed every time he went
on a trip.
7. Jerome had to make a lot of effort to find
his toothbrush. As he had packed everything, he had to rummage
through the packed bag to find it. Jerome finally found the
toothbrush inside a boot.
8. Jerome had to reopen the packed bag twice
owing to his forgetfulness. Once he had to reopen the bag as he
had forgotten to pack the boots. The next time, he unpacked when
he realised he had packed his tobacco-pouch in.
9. George and Harris offered to pack the hampers
for carrying food. Harris said that they would want to start in
less than twelve
and therefore, it was better that he and George did the rest of
10. Statements (i), (iii), (iv), (vi) and (vii)
Answer needs Correction? Click Here