Study the following sentences.
• Einstein became a
gifted amateur violinist, maintaining this skill throughout
• Letters survive in
which they put their affection into words, mixing science
The parts in italics in the above sentences begin with
-ing verbs, and are called participial
phrases. Participial phrases say something more about the person
or thing talked about or the idea expressed by the sentence as a
whole. For example:
- Einstein became a gifted amateur violinist.
He maintained this skill throughout his life.
Complete the sentences below by filling in the blanks with
suitable participial clauses. The information that has to be used
in the phrases is provided as a sentence in brackets.
1. __________, the firefighters finally put out the fire. (They
worked round the clock.)
2. She watched the sunset above the mountain, __________ (She
noticed the colours blending softly into one another.)
3. The excited horse pawed the ground rapidly, __________ (While
it neighed continually.)
4. __________, I found myself in Bangalore, instead of Benaras.
(I had taken the wrong train.)
5. __________, I was desperate to get to the bathroom. (I had not
bathed for two days)
6. The stone steps, __________ needed to be replaced. (They were
7. The actor received hundreds of letters from his fans,
__________ (They asked him to send them his photograph.)
Please Register/Login to get access to all solutions Facebook Login