I. Answer each question below.
1. How many characters are there in the narrative? Name them.
Answer: There are four characters in the story, viz. Jerome, George, Harris and the dog.
2. Why did the narrator (Jerome) volunteer to do the packing?
Answer: Narrator was of the opinion that he was the best at packing.
3. How did George and Harris react to this? Did Jerome like their reaction?
Answer: George and Harris agreed to Jerome, because they wanted to loaf around while Jerome would do the packing.
4. What was Jerome’s real intention when he offered to pack?
Answer: Jerome’s real intention was to show off his talent at packing the things.
5. What did Harris say after the bag was shut and strapped? Why do you think he waited till then to ask?
Answer: After the bag was shut and strapped Harris asked if Jerome forgot to pack the boot. He wanted to enjoy the irritation on Jerome’s face so he waited till last.
6. What “horrible idea” occurred to Jerome a little later?
Answer: Jerome was not sure if he packed his toothbrush or not. In the past also Jerome has similar mishaps with packing or unpacking of toothbrush.
7. Where did Jerome finally find the toothbrush?
Answer: After searching through everything Jerome found the toothbrush inside a boot.
8. Why did Jerome have to reopen the packed bag?
Answer: After packing the bag Jerome realized that he packed his tobacco pouch inside, so he had to reopen it once again.
9. What did George and Harris offer to pack and why?
Answer: George and Harris offered to pack the bag which would contain edible items. They also wanted to show off their packing skills.
10. While packing the hamper, George and Harris do a number of foolish and funny things. Tick the statements that are true.
(i) They started with breaking a cup.
(ii) They also broke a plate.
(iii) They squashed a tomato.
(iv) They trod on the butter.
(v) They stepped on a banana.
(vi) They put things behind them, and couldn’t find them.
(vii) They stepped on things.
(viii) They packed the pictures at the bottom and put heavy things on top.
(ix) They upset almost everything.
(x) They were very good at packing.
II. What does Jerome say was Montmorency’s ambition in life? What do you think of Montmorency and why?
Answer: Monmorency’s ambition in life was to disturb people and be sworn at in the bargain. It always made a mess of everything the way most of the pet dogs do while in a playful mood.
III. Answer the following questions in two or three paragraphs (100 –150 words)
1. Of the three, Jerome, George and Harris, who do you think is the best or worst packer? Support your answer with details from the text.
Answer: In spite of forgetting certain things to pack or getting confused about some things, Jerome seems to be the best packer. He packs things the way they should be. He knows what to keep first and what to keep last. He doesn’t create a mess all around.
It is difficult to select the worst packer from Harris and George. Harris smashes tomato while packing the bottle of jam over it. George treads on butter and creates a mess all around. Then he tries to put it in the kettle. After this Harris sits on the butter kept on the chair. After the butter sticks to Harris’ behind both of them start searching for it.
They put lighter things at the bottom and heavier things at the top. This is like putting potatoes on top of tomatoes while shopping for vegetables.
Both George and Harris are equally horrendous in packing.
2. Do you find this story funny? What are the humorous elements in it?
Answer: This is a really funny story but at the same time it can be from many people’s real life. To start with the language itself is humorous while depicting as mundane an activity as packing. Discovery of toothbrush inside a boot is funny. George stepping on butter is funny incident. The list can go on and on, like Harris sitting on butter, packing of jam over tomato, packing of heavier thing over lighter things. The disturbance by the dog brings its own amount of fun in the story. Even in the end their argument about exact wakeup time is also full of humour.NCERT Solutions of Packing Class 9
Packing will be available online in PDF book form soon. The solutions are absolutely Free. Soon you will be able to download the solutions.